Even for Florida, where the beaches are superb, Pensacola, FL, stands apart from the rest. Situated on the picturesque Florida Panhandle, Pensacola is known for award-winning fishing tours, exotic wildlife, and spectacular, sunny weather. USA Today voted Pensacola’s Gulf Islands National Seashore as the #1 Best Beach in Florida!
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
If you’re moving to Pensacola, FL, and wondering what there is to see, do and enjoy, you’re in luck! We’ve got the most fun, exciting, and adventurous things to do in Pensacola, FL, below for your reading pleasure! (We’re more than just beautiful beaches!) To discover everything about this inviting, exciting Florida town before you arrive, read on!
MOVING TIP: Reserve a Pensacola, FL, storage unit online before leaving your current home. Self-storage is typically much cheaper than storing your stuff with a moving company. Plus, you can go into your storage unit and get things if you need them. And, yes, your movers can deliver your items directly to your storage unit. (Our front gate is large enough for even the biggest moving trucks!)
Things to Do in Pensacola: Lost Key Golf Club
Golf is extremely popular in Florida, thanks to the surplus of sunny days we see here. Pensacola is no different, and the famed Lost Key Golf Club is a local favorite. It’s an Arnold Plamer signature-designed course, which is already a big plus. More than that, the course is naturally resourced and environmentally friendly. The grass is a special type, too, called Sea Dwarf Paspalum. Bright green with a fine texture, it’s perfect for putting! There are other courses in Pensacola, to be sure. Lost Key, though, is a definite stand-out.
Things to Do in Pensacola: Panhandle Shipwreck Trail
Scuba diving in the Gulf of Mexico is, in a word, spectacular. Even better, in Pensacola, you’ll have access to the exhilarating Florida Panhandle Shipwreck Trail. The trail offers 20 shipwrecks, including the incredible USS Oriskany. (It’s the world’s largest artificial reef!) There’s also the 315-foot San Pablo, nicknamed the ‘Russian Freighter.’ Eighteen more incredible wrecks await you in Pensacola, so be sure to bring your goggles and scuba gear!
The Best Restaurants in Pensacola, FL
One of the best reasons to move to Pensacola has to be the incredibly fresh seafood served here. Delivered dockside every day from the Gulf of Mexico, it doesn’t get any fresher than this! Add in our exceptional local produce, and you get a restaurant scene that’s tops in the Sunshine State! Some of the best eateries, bistros, pubs, and cafes in Pensacola, Fl, include the following:
- McGuire’s Irish Pub: The classic Irish pub, McGuire’s, is situated in a firehouse built in 1927! They brew their own beer and serve up delicious Irish fare. Plus, there’s live music on most nights!
- The Fish House: One of the best examples of why Pensacola is known worldwide for its seafood! Upscale but not pretentious, the view alone overlooking the harbor is worth the visit. You’ll stay, though, for the decadent southern dishes like seafood gumbo and gigantic Gulf shrimp!
- Sky’s Pizza Pie: New York-style pizza on the Gulf Coast of Florida? Yes, it’s true, and it’s also delicious, fresh, and as casual as they come. Our suggestion; try the build-our-own stromboli! The crust is delightfully crunchy, and you can fill it with all sorts of yummy goodness!
- Jerry’s Drive In: Is Jerry’s Drive In a dive? Yes, in the best sense of the word! It’s also the oldest restaurant in Pensacola, FL, serving spectacular burgers and traditional American fare. Jerry’s offers drive-up service but do go inside as the decorations and knickknacks are a delight!
- Fisherman’s Corner: Succulent seafood, fresh, local produce, and prime beef is a laid-back, nautical setting? Yes, please! Try the Cajun Mac & Cheese for an experience your tastebuds won’t soon forget!
Try Taking One of Our Many Charter Boat Tours
The Gulf of Mexico is one of the best for fishing, no doubt. If you don’t have a boat, a charter fishing trip is your next best option. Many charter boats are leaving Pensacola every day for different locations and durations. They provide everything you need to enjoy a day of fishing fun under the Florida sun! Some boats even grill up your fish immediately after you land it! Talk about fresh seafood!
STORAGE TIP: You can store your boat with Southern Self Storage. It’s easy, affordable, and perfect if you don’t have the storage space at home. (Or if your HOA doesn’t allow you to park your boat in your driveway.)
Pensacola’s Bountiful, Beautiful Beaches
You can’t have a list of things to do in Pensacola, FL, without mentioning the beach! We have several here, some of which say is the best in the world! The sand is pearly white, the water is turquoise and clear, and the vibe is laid-back and serene. What more could you ask for?! Below are some of the best beaches in Pensacola for swimming, surfing, and sunbathing:
- Fort Pickens Beach (aka Langdon Beach)- Long, wide, and wonderful for serene walks.
- Opal Beach- If alone time is what you crave, Opal Beach is the best choice.
- Casino beach (aka Pensacola Beach)- Lifeguards and beach vendors make this beach one of the best.
- Quietwater Beach- Perfect for families with smaller children.
- Perdido Beach- Arguably the most beautiful beach in the area.
- Pensacola Dog Beach East and West. Dogs are allowed on both!
If You’re Adventurous, Try Beach Kayaking
With mangrove forests everywhere you look and ripe for exploring, renting a sea kayak is perfect! You can kayak to your heart’s content, making your way in silence as you marvel at the beauty all around. Below are several locations to rent a kayak (or canoe) and head out for a day of adventure:
- Big Lagoon State Park
- Johnson Beach
- Blackwater River State Park
- Perdido River
- Fort Pickens
Pensacola, Florida, is Teeming with Fun, Excitement, and Adventure!
There’s no denying Pensacola, FL, is a beautiful place to visit and to live! It’s got everything you need for an exquisite vacation or a relaxing, laidback lifestyle. At Southern Self Storage, we love Pensacola and everything this fine Florida city offers. We offer safe, clean, and secure storage units in Pensacola, FL, to store your stuff when moving here.
Southern Self Storage has a convenient online chat feature if you need help with self-storage in Pensacola. You can also drop by our Pensacola self-storage location and meet the on-site manager. They can answer your questions and help you rent a Pensacola, FL, storage unit that fits your needs perfectly.
The Gulf Coast is waiting to amaze and delight you! One suggestion; reserve a storage unit in Pensacola, FL, online before you arrive. It’s easy, and there’s no credit card needed as we don’t require a deposit! The benefit is that it will be waiting when your moving truck arrives! Until then, we hope you thoroughly enjoy everything pretty Pensacola, Fl, has to offer!